Category: Progress

un/necessary objects

Today is the opening of my show, Un/necessary Objects. It’s an exhibition about memory, objects, the connection between those two, and loss/value/impermanence.

When Pat Greene asked me to be the artist for March 2020, I immediately said yes. I had never been to the space before, but I am grateful for all opportunities that come my way. After visiting the space, I wasn’t sure what I would do. Credo Conduit is a co-working space, and the shows are installed in the lobby/entrance. Because it is a quasi-commercial space, I didn’t feel comfortable just displaying my work. That seemed too prescribed, especially because the display shelves are built-in (plus, most of my work is 3D and wouldn’t fit comfortably on the narrow shelves).

I hope it doesn’t seem like I am complaining, because my best work results from limitations and I like the challenge of figuring out how to work in different spaces. It took me two weeks to decide what I wanted to do. I had a lot of ideas (as did my partner Jonas) and a lot of doubts about those ideas… until the right idea came along. Or rather, it resurfaced. I had taken a series of photos about a year ago of my favorite objects, with the idea of writing about each one. It was an interplay between object and memory, and the impermanence of both. But then I dropped the project because a purely digital project is not satisfying to me and I had no other outlet at the time.

I’ve put a lot of work into this show in the last month and a bit. I edited photos, took some new photos, had them all printed, wrote about each object, edited (both the text and what I chose to include in the show), designed, edited some more, printed, trimmed, assembled, and installed. I ended up including 38 objects, some of which are my small artworks and most of which are things I collected or was gifted over the years. I hope that when people view the work, they will think about their own objects, memory, the value and worth of things, and impermanence (due to environmental threats and human frailty). I hope the personal becomes universal.

If you are unable to see it in person, I have created a digital version of the exhibition booklet (which is part of the exhibition, not a supplement). You can view it below or click here to download the pdf.

My thanks to Hannah Leah for facilitating and Credo Conduit for hosting!

the girl and the sea

thegirljameri

 

Introducing The Girl and the Sea, a little coloring/storybook for those who like fairytales. Written by me, illustrated by Beryl Foo, designed (and assembled) by Gia Lam Nguyen, and translated into Estonian (Tüdruk ja meri) by Andra Aaloe.

This is the outcome of the story and illustrations for an artist residency I had several years ago. That project didn’t end up working out, so I’ve been sitting on these materials. I’m so happy to see this project come to fruition now! My sincere thanks to those who made that possible – everyone mentioned above plus the Trükimuuseum and the graphic design and bookbinding departments of the Eesti Kunstiakadeemia / Estonian Academy of Arts.

The Girl and the Sea and Tüdruk ja meri are available for sale at Les Petites and Nona. Or let me know if you want to buy directly from me. ♡

thegirlandthesea

anna uus elu

Three small wire works I made will be included in a group exhibition that opens tomorrow in Pärnu at Uue Kunsti Muuseum (New Art Museum). The exhibition is called ‘Anna Uus Elu’, which roughly translates as ‘Give New Life’. The idea is to reuse materials, so I made three pieces of jewelry (two necklaces and one pair of earrings) from four kinds of old copper wire and thread.

annauuselu1

scribble necklace, 2015

annauuselu2

nebula earrings, 2015

annauuselu3

rift necklace, 2014-2015

i made a book

IMG_3697

Years ago, my mother sent me some beautiful paper she had made. I wasn’t sure what to do with it at the time as it just wasn’t meant for letter writing, but when I rediscovered the paper about a month ago it was so obvious what I needed to do. It was time to make a book. I couldn’t use the pages for signatures, and the paper I had chosen for the covers was too thick for stab binding. After a bit of thinking, I decided to make an accordion-style book (but it’s also not quite an accordion book).

 

IMG_3696

To begin, I measured and poked six holes along the tops and bottoms of the papers. (I took the photo at night, so apologies for the poor lighting.) Then I picked out some contrasting embroidery thread from my stash.

 

IMG_3646 IMG_3647

 

 

 

Then I stitched the pages together, leaving a bit of thread between the pages to allow room for folding. First along the top, then the bottom. I applied a tiny bit of super glue to the end knots for extra security.

 

IMG_3650IMG_3651

 

 

 

Next, I made some wheatpaste (heating up one part flour, four parts water) and applied it to the inside of the covers, then affixed the first and last papers. I took two white sheets of paper (to protect the books) and then placed heavy books on top to keep things together and flat while the glue and paper dried.

 

IMG_3688

 

IMG_3684

Once the papers and covers were nicely stuck together, the covers weren’t quite as flat as I liked, so I put the book together and placed a heavy book on top again for several hours.

 

IMG_3687

 

IMG_3686

And done.