I set out later than expected for day two of my bookbinding apprenticeship. I was having problems with my iPod nano (which contains all of the metal albums I own) to the extent that I ended up giving up on it and departing with the mini (which contains a hodgepodge of music and podcasts and generally stays at home). I think I listened to The Mars Volta during the trek. The weather had warmed up a bit, so I was able to wear sneakers in place of boots.
I could give a detailed description of everything I did that day, describe how Pille and I visited a few gallery exhibitions, how we discussed the window lighting that was being installed in the studio nextdoor. But, I only have so much time at the moment.
During day one, I learned some basics about leatherwork. Day two was devoted to making two small books. The process involved folding and tearing paper and sewing the signatures together. Not complicated, but also not something I had done before.
For the first book, Pille told me to do whatever came to my mind to do. She wants me to make mistakes because I can learn from them. So, in making the first book, I decided that my main goal was to have good-looking stitching on the spine. Creating a functional book was not foremost on my mind. So, I sewed the signatures together alternating at the top or the bottom, but not both. To keep the book together, I used a piece of ribbon.
For the second book, Pille showed me how to sew the book very tightly and so that the signatures were sewn together at both the top and the bottom. I had several years of sewing lessons, so I knew before starting the first book that it would not be held together with just the thread. The sewing of the second book brought back a lot of memories from those years of sewing.
Overall, I prefer the first book.